6.29.2009

Birth Announcement!

My daughter, Lily Michelle, was born on Sunday, June 14th, 2009 at 12:58pm!

I was in labor for 29 hours, which is not as painful as it sounds.

The Saturday before the birth, my water broke before my contractions started. Because this can lead to an infection, the hospital put me on a pictocin (synthetic oxytocin) drip. This pushed my contractions along, but I wasn't dilating. After 17 hours of intense 'pushing' contractions with no dilation, I finally asked for pain medication.

The doctor ordered an epidural for me in order to help me get some sleep. As soon as I relaxed, my contractions evened out and my labor progressed. I was able to sleep and only had a numbness in my legs (epidurals numb you fromt he waist down). I woke up and watched the sun rise over Mount Nittany.

Over night, I dilated 5cm. I dilated to 10cm in 5 minutes! Pushing took two hours and I had an epidural hot spot in my right hip. That means that all the pain of the contractions built and died in my hip. It sucked, but the nurse in charge promised me a Coke if I pushed a baby out.

It was the best can of soda I ever had!

Lily came out, head and shoulders, in one push. She was immediately alert and started looking around for Dave and I whenever she heard our voices.

She was 6lbs. 15oz. and 20 1/2 inches long.

She has a full head of dark hair and her eyes look like they might end up being blue.

She is the absolute blessing we have long hoped for. :D

I was told that I would forget the pain over the next six months. But, honestly, I've already forgotten most of it. I remember the events, but not how painful it was or wasn't. The vast majority of my pain, and even the inconveniences of the pregnancy, were forgotten the moment I held my daughter. Even now, as I type one handed, I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't have wanted her. Lily is an absolute miracle!

No comments: