12.10.2006

A Note About Reviews

Reviews, reviews, reviews.

They're everywhere. Everyone is giving their opinion of something (myself included).

That's why I've decided to stop doing reviews of video games. They really aren't that productive, especially when you can go down to Blockbuster and rent a title to see if you like it enough to buy. Honestly, if I'd listened to the reviews of some of my favorite games (Shadow Hearts, Chaos Legion, Aria of Sorrow) I would have totally missed out on the fun.

I've decided that the best way to find out if I even want to go through the trouble of renting is to ask someone who has similar taste in games. I know I can read whatever Gabe (Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade) has to say about an rpg or adventure game (note that he doesn't do reviews either) and find out if I want to take a walk down the hill (where blockbuster is located).

The only time I've found game reviews helpful is when everyone who has touched a particular game says you absolutely must play it (like Shadow of the Colossus and Okami).

So from here on out, I'll talk about a game and tell you if I enjoyed it. If you have similar taste in games, this will help you. If not, ignore me.

Me Out.

No comments: